Whites

ILKETSHALL ST. ANDREW, 4 miles S.E. Bungay, and S.W. by W. of Beccles, is a parish containing 584 souls, and 1696 A. of strong loamy land. Its houses are scattered round the margins of several greens, lying east of the other Ilketshalls, and being, like them, in the Duke of Norfolk's Liberty. The soil belongs to Wm. Adair, Esq., Lord George Beresford, Rev. J. Day, J. Garden, Esq., Rev. C. Clark, Thomas Farr, Esq., and several smaller owners. The Church (St. Andrew) is an ancient structure, on a commanding eminence. It is of flint and stone, and its tower is circular at the base, and octangular at the top. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued a K.B. at £5. 13s. 4d., and in 1835 at £139. It has 28A. of glebe, and a small parsonage, and is in the patronage of Bungay Grammar School, and incumbency of the Rev. John Gilbert. The rectorial tithes belong to Mrs. Ann Scott, and several of the principal landowners. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, of flint and white brick, erected in 1840. The Town Estate comprises a double cottage, and 2A. of land, let for £ ll. lOs. a year; and 7A. called Redisham Close, let for £10 a year. One half of the rents is applied to the reparation of the church, and the remainder in defraying other
public expenses of the parish.

Booker Anthony, tailor
Branch Mr John
Brighten Robert, shopkeeper
Cullum Stephen, butcher
Gardner Hannah, beerhouse keeper
Green David, corn miller
Green John, vict. Hare & Hounds
Hambling Ann, shopkeeper
Hambling Jeremiah, blacksmith & ironmonger
Haney Robert, blacksmith
High James, wheelwright
Howlett Benjamin, wheelwright
Hunting Chas. veterinary surgeon
Kemp James, shoemaker
Kemp Robert, parish clerk
Morris James, joiner
Oldring J. shoemaker
Sayer Meshach, tailor & shopkeeper
Stanard Geo. bricklayer & shopkeeper
Turrell James, joiner
Wyatt Wm. beerhouse

FARMERS.
Adams George
Breese James
Burgess Thomas
Buskard Wm.
Button Ephraim
Calver James
Chaston Robert
Clarke Samuel
Cullum Wm.
Howlett Jonth.
Newby George
Nurse James
Phillips James
Sadd John
Salter John
Salter Wm.
Tooke Peter
Turner Robert

Kellys

ILKETSHALL ST. ANDREW is a parish and scattered village, 4 miles south-east from Bungay station on the Waveney Valley section of the London and North Eastern railway, in the Lowestoft division of the county, Bungay petty sessional division; Wangford hundred and union, Beccles and Bungay county court district, rural deanerv of South Elmham, archdeaconery of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of St. Andrew is a small but ancient structure of rubble and flint, in the Saxon, Norman and Gothic styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, round at the base and octagonal in the upper part, containing 3 bells: the doorway is Norman: the church affords 180 sittings. The register dates from the year 1542. The living is a vicarage, to which that of Ilketshall St. Lawrence was annexed in 1927, joint net value, yearly value £380, and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Edmundsbury and Ipswich, who has two turns, and the Lord Chancellor, who has one turn, and held since 1910 by the Rev. Alfred Huddle M.A. of Ayerst Hall, Cambridge. The Misses Smythe hold the great tithes, amounting to about £130 yearly. There is a small Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1840. The town lands of 13 acres, together with a double cottage and two single ones, are let for £20 yearly, which sum is applied to the repairs of the church and various charitable purposes. Walter James Alcock esq. is the chief landowner. The soil is generally heavy; subsoil, sandy clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and bean, The area is 1,718 acres; the population in 1921 was 411.

Sexton, Hubert Clack.
Post Office. Letters through Beccles. Bungay is th nearest M. O. & Ilketshall St. Margaret the nearest T. office.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Hewat Mrs. Manor Farm House
Huddle Rev. Alfred M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Kaye Roger Baker, Little Beck
Kaye Tom Herbert, Little Beck

COMMERCIAL.
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

Baker Walter, blacksmith
Bircham Thomas Edwin, farmer
Blowers Ephraim, smith, Clifton cot.
Brighton William , shopkeeper
Burrows Ernest Edward farmer
Calver Walter, builder
* Cannell Carlos Jn.Gilbt, farmer, Red House farm
Cook Thos. W. farmer, Chapel & Berry's farm
Cobyn George, farmer
Cottam Edmund Finch, farmer
Firman Wm. farmer & rate collector for Ilketshall St. Andrew &
St. Margaret, S. Elmham St. Peter & St. Michael & Flixton & Redisham
Fiske Claude, shopkeeper
Fuller Alfred B. farmer, Becks Green farm
Gill Wm. farmer Corner farm
Grice Charles, Hare & Hounds P.H.
* Kaye Roger Baker, stock farmer, Little Beck farm
Edward,grocer, Post Office
Smith Wm. farmer, Old Vicarage farm
Stebbings James, beer retailer
Thurlow John, farmer
Whittleton Walter Garrett, farmer, Brook farm

Dutt

Ilketshall St Andrew (4 m. S.E. of Bungay).The church has a round tower and Norm. nave and N. and S. doorways. Note a tomb in the S. wall of the chancel.


Picture gallery