SOUTH ELMHAM ALL, SAINTS and ST. NICHOLAS are two united parishes, 5 miles S. by W, of Bungay, the former containing 1150A., 224 inhabitants, and a village scattered near a green of 52A.; and the latter having about 500 acres, 90 inhabitants, and nineteen scattered houses. Wm. Adair, Esq., is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to Dr. Crowfoot, Mr.G.Durrant, and several smaller proprietors. St. Nicholas' Church was in ruins more than two centuries ago, but a small portion of one of its walls is still standing. All Saints Church is an ancient structure, with a round tower and leaded roof, They are both discharged rectories, valued in K.B., the former at £6, and the latter at £8, hot they have long been consolidated, and have now about 32 acres of plebe, and a yearly modus of £274 in lieu of tithes. Wm. Adair, Esq. is patron, and the Rev. George Sandby, of Flixton, is the incumbent. The two parishes have two cottages and 1A 2R. of land, let for £9 l1s. 6d. a year, and vested with the churchwardens for the reparation of the church. The Deanery of South Elmham comprises the seven adjoining parishes of Southelmham, and the two parishes of Flixton and Homersfield. The TRUST ESTATES belonging jointly to these nine parishes, have been vested from an early period in trust, that the rents and profits should be applied for payment of the leet fee, or common fine of the leet of the manor of Southelmham, (which comprises the nine parishes,) and for repairing the highways, bridges, &c., in the seven Southelmhams. The estates consist of a farm of 27A. in Aldborough and Wortwell, Norfolk, let for £40 a year; and 18 acres of land in Flixton and Southelmham St. Margaret, let for £20 a year. Since 1814, the trustees have, out of these rents, divided £1l.11s. yearly amongst the poor of the nine parishes. The Bishops of Norwich had anciently a Palace at Southelmham, as well as at Northelmham, in Norfolk, and other places. In the 12th and 13th century, they are said to have occasionally resided here in great splendour, especially Bishop Suffield, who made a valuation of all the ecclesiastical revenues in the kingdom, for Pope Innocent, and died in 1258.

Marked * are in St. Nicholas, and the others in Southelmham All Saints.

Aldrich Elisha, wheelwright
Foyster David, vict. White Lion
Hule George, grocer and draper
*King James, blacksmith
*Smith Thomas, bricklayer
Thurston Robert, corn miller and shopkeeper
Wakeling Mrs Martha

Blackburn John
Blackburn Geo.
*Button James
Chambers Edw.
Coates Jeremiah
*Danby Jame
Greenard James
Huke George
*Mathews Hanh.
Meers Wm.
*Newson Wm.
*Page Peter
Rackham Simon
Swallow John
Thurston Thos.
Whealey John



SOUTH ELMHAM ALL SAINTS-CUM-ST. NICHOLAS is a parish 5 miles south from Bungay station on the Waveney Valley section of the London and North Eastern railway. The church of St. Nicholas went to decay about 1620; a stone cross now marks its site. That of All Saints is an ancient edifice of flint with stone dressings of the Norman period, but largely altered in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a round western tower containing one bell: the tower was restored and the belfry turret rebuilt in 1912 by the rector, the Rev. Horatio Millett R.N. as a memorial to his sister: the church was restored in 1870, and an organ was erected in 1885: there are 150 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1708 ; marriages, 1709 ; burials, 1710, but there are leaves of the older registers remaining. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £306 with residence, in the gift of Sir Robert Shafto Adair bart. D.L., J.P. and held since 1919 by the Rev. William Linton Wilson M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Rumburgh with South Elmham St. Michael. There are two cottages and 1A. 2R. of land, let together for £7 10s. yearly, which sum is applied to church purposes. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Bishops of Norwich had a palace at South Elmham and resided here in much splendour. Sir Robert Shafto Adair bart. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor, and the farmers are mostly the landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and beans. The area of All Saints cum St. Nicholas is 1,641 acres; the population in 1921
was 195.

Parish Clerk, Charles Bird.
Letters for All Saints arrive through Halesworth, which is the nearest T. office office. Rumburgh is the nearest T. office
Letters for St. Nicholas through Harleston (Norfolk), which is the nearest M.O.office


(Marked thus x receive letters through Harleston (Norfolk)
Medcalf Mrs. The Rectory
Wilson Rev. William Lipton M.A. (vicar of Rumburgh
& South Elmham St. Michael & South Elmham All Saints


(Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Aldan Thomas Ellis, farmer
X Bird Wm. Hy. farmer, Old Hall farm
Bunn Jn. beer retailer
Collyer Michael,farmer, Meens farm
X* Hadingham Bros. farmers, Church farm
Hadingham Robert, farmer
Hendry Herbert Thomas, farmer
Mann Arthur John farmer
Naunton Alfred Suckling, farmer, Moat farm
Naunton Herbert, farmer
Newson Arthur, farmer, mill farm
X Oldring Frederick W. farmer
X Pipe Arthur, farmer
Pratt Abel A. farmer, Ash farm
X Reeder George William, farmer
Watts Horace H. farmer, Willow farm
Whatling Harry William & Herbert John, farmers.


South Elmham All Saints-cum-St Nicholas ( 5 m. S. of Bungay).-All Saints Church original]y consisted of nave and chancel with a round tower, but subsequently a S. aisle was added, probably to accommodate the inhabitants of the parish of St Nicholas, whose church had fallen into decay. Formerly it had a parvise over the porch, but this was removed in 1871 and a new porch built. The tower and S. doorway are Norm.; the chancel and nave Dec., and the aisle Perp ; the font is Norm. St Nicholas Church has disappeared; its site is marked by a stone cross.